Welcome to PACER: Post-Adoption Center for Education and Research. Celebrating over 35 years of service in Northern California’s adoption community, PACER is a nonprofit volunteer organization run by those who know first-hand what the experience of adoption, relinquishment, and loss are like – adoptees, first/birth mothers. PACER embraces openness, honesty, and truth in adoption policies, practices, and attitudes while advocating for Open Records in California.
With an estimated 6 million adoptees and roughly one third of the US population affected by adoption, PACER’s mission is to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere for adoptees, first/birth parents, and adoptive parents to recover from adoption, loss, and recovery. In addition, PACER is dedicated to educating lay people, professionals, and adoption triad/constellation members about the issues of adoption, loss, race, and relinquishment. PACER believes the adoptee’s voice is central to carrying out our mission. PACER offers monthly support groups, membership, on-line resources, events, outreach to community organizations, and legislative reform. Find out what’s new with PACER on our new website!
Become a Member of PACERReasons why your Membership Donation is Important
- To support our educational and outreach efforts to inform lay persons, professionals, and adoption triad/constellation members – adoptees, first/birth parents, adoptive parents, and their families – about the lifetime effects of relinquishment, loss, and adoption.
- To support our monthly support groups for triad/constellation members in Northern California. They continue to be highly-valuable, educational, and welcoming to those who attend.
- To support our unique advocacy work and community that only PACER provides in Northern California. All of our educators, group facilitator leaders, and board members have been personally effected by adoption, loss, and relinquishment.
- To support our mission for truth, honesty, and openness in adoption policies and practices. We are not an adoption agency so we have no agendas.
- To become part of our inviting and committed community of adoptees, first/birth parents, adoptive parents, and family members.
- To join the fifth wave to reform California’s existing Closed Adoption Records. PACER holds firm that California adoptees should have an absolute and human right to access their original birth certificates. Other states are changing their laws, we think it’s about time that California does, also!
Birthmother Sheila Ganz’ documentary On Life’s Terms: Mothers in Recovery will premiere at the REEL Recovery Festival
Join On Your Feet for a film screening of Ann Fessler’s film A Girl Like Her with a panel discussion afterwards on Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 4th.
Spring Training: The Heart of Adoption is Love
An all day adoption conference for birthparents, adoptive parents, foster parents,adoptees, siblings, extended family, professionals and advocates.
Solano Conference 2014
Foster & Kinship Care Education, Solano College
“Soaring to New Heights”
Courtyard Marriott, Fairfield
35th Annual American Adoption Congress conference: Building Bridges for Change
Parc 55 Wyndham San Francisco–Union Square
Keynote Speakers will be Leslie Pat Mackinnon, Lisa Marie Rollins, Zara Phillips, Dr. John Raible, and Rickie Solinger
Films include: Closure, Father Unknown, and Unlocking the Heart of Adoption
Alliance for Study of Adoption and Culture Fifth International Conference
Adoption: Crossing Boundaries
Florida State University, Tallahassee
Keynote Speakers will be Jackie Kay and Laura Briggs
Adoption Initiative: The 8th Biennial Adoption Conference
The Sleeping Giants in Adoption: Power, Privilege, Politics, and Class
St. John’s University, Queens Campus, NY
28th ARC Summer Intensives:
Adoption on the Edge
The ARC Summer Intensives Conference is a two-day event for professionals, parents (birth, adoptive, foster, etc), adult adopted people, and extended family.
40th Annual NACAC: North American Council on Adoptable Children conference
Kansas City, Missouri
Concerned United Birthparents Annual Retreat
Safety Harbor, FL
Adopt Salon Conference 2014
Jeanette Yoffe and the Celia Center
Please click on the picture above to look at who is behind PACER.
Please click on the picture above to read about PACER’s history.